Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Site Design

Powered By

Powered by Blogger

Monday, September 27, 2010

Culinary School - Q2 Week 10

Tuesday Class - Concepts and Theories of Culinary Techniques

As this is week 10 we are done with Vocab!  yay! Tonight we go over slides on Fish and Shellfish.  I have seen slides almost identical to these in my Purchasing and Product ID class last quarter so I try not to zone out.  Chef is talking about poaching fish to keep it moist which gets me giggling.  When he asks whats up, all I can say is "you said moist" and go into another fit of giggles, sending about half the class into giggles.  We finally manage to get through the slides, and talk about what to expect tomorrow night. 

The plan is that we will do as much of the prep work as we can on Wednesday night, so that on Thursday all we have to do is finish cooking everything.  Chef lets us go early with the instructions to bring all of our recipe cards to class tomorrow night.

WEDNESDAY
Recipes: Ribs, Flank Steak, Chicken, Shrimp, Rib Eye, Salad, Tempura, Rice.


On Wednesday night we did all the prep work for our Family Night meal. In my group I was responsible for making the BBQ sauce for the ribs, and a Honey Mustard Dressing for the salad. Everything went pretty well. We finished up and we able to get out of the kitchens by 9:30.   I was stuck in the group with Ed, the class ass again but he was busy with the shrimp and since I am allergic to shellfish our paths didn't cross much.

On Thursday night, we arrived in the kitchens and immediately started cooking all the food we had prepped.  Our families were due to arrive at 7:00 pm so we had about 90 minutes to get everything cooked.  The kitchens were crowded and people seemed to be panicked so I took myself out of the equation by moving over to the dish sinks.  I figured if I could keep up on the pots and pans we would have less to do after our families left. I stood at the sinks scrubbing for the whole 90 minutes.  But I managed to get almost all the dirty stuff washed and put away before we served the meal.  Andea and Loretta came as my family. I wanted them to see what I have been working so hard at. It seemed like all of the families enjoyed the meal as there were no leftovers! 
So, next week is our final.  I can't believe it.  Chef won't tell us what protein we will be working with.  I guess we will find out when we get to the kitchens. 
Until next week,
Ciao!

No comments: