Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Site Design

Powered By

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Culinary School - Week 7 Tex Mex

Feb 21-22, 2011

Tex-Mex

Day one

The Menu:
LBJ Pedernales River Chili
Crab Quesadillas
Jalapeno Cornbread
Green Chile Chutney
Lone Star Chicken-Fried Steak with Cream Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Black-eyed Peas
Green Beans
Mexican Wedding Cookies

The Food: Chicken Fried Steak is one of my favorite things. Ours was disappointing. The Textbook called our appetizers Crab Quesadillas but they were actually more like empanadas. The LBJ Chili and Jalapeno Cornbread was a perfect pairing. The Finale of Mexican Wedding Cookies was perfect.

Summary: This Chili recipe was different than any recipe I have ever used. I normally add in some tomato paste and tomato sauce to make it a thicker and still soupier chili. Our Chicken Fried Steak was tough and over-cooked. I think it is because my teammate was not paying attention to the instructions Chef was giving us. I would have liked to try the empanadas. I might use chicken or beef next time. I really liked the Jalapeno Cornbread. I am used to a sweeter version of cornbread. I liked how this was not gritty. I have had some that were gritty and crumbly. I am looking forward to tomorrow nights food!


Chicken Fried Steak

Crab Empanadas

LBJ Chili

Mexican Wedding Cookies
Day Two

Student Satisfaction Survey

The Menu:
Caldo de Res
Pork Flautas
Guacamole, Pico de Gallo
Tex-Mex Plate: Shrimp Taco, Green Chili Sauce, Cheese Enchiladas, Arroz a la Mexicana
Refried Beans
Flan

The Food: Due to the Student Satisfaction Survey Pork Flautas were removed from the menu. I was “Chef of the Day” tonight. I spent the evening checking on the four teams making sure they were on time and didn’t need any help with anything. Chef said that I could make something myself if I stayed in the region. I chose to make a frozen Avocado yogurt.

Summary: I didn’t help with the cooking for anyone because all the teams had four members on them. I used the ice cream machine and made a frozen Avocado Yogurt. I mashed two avocados, added about two cups of Greek Yogurt, two tablespoons of lime juice and a tablespoon of lime zest. When it was just about ready to transfer to the freezer I drizzled in some honey. I boiled some lime skins in simple syrup and then rolled them in sugar to use a garnish. I thought the yogurt was really tasty. It was smooth and creamy and every once in a while you would get a little glob of honey!

Caldo de Res

Cheese Enchiladas

Guacamole and Chips

Shrimp Tacos


Avocado Lime Ice Cream


Flan


4 comments:

PillowNaut said...

WHAT... no grits???

barbie2be said...

can you belive that. no grits in tex-mex or south. that's just wrong.

Mrs. L said...

Flan? Love me some Flan. And we need to make avocado ice cream this summer!

Carolyn Jung said...

Those cheese enchiladas have got my attention. If only I could have a plateful right now. You are such a temptress! ;)