The good folks at Marx Foods sent me some of their dried chiles to try. Here is the first of what I made with them.
Ancho Chicken Soft Tacos (adapted from Rachael Ray)
• 1 lb chicken meat cut into small pieces
• 3 dried ancho peppers, stemmed and seeded
• 1 cup chicken stock
• 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
• 2 tablespoons sherry or sherry vinegar
• 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 8 soft flour tortillas
Place the ancho peppers and chicken stock into a small pot over medium-high heat. Bring up to a bubble and simmer until the peppers are very tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. Add the red onion and garlic to the pan, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
While the veggies are cooking, remove the skin and meat from the chicken, and shred the meat.
Add the sherry or sherry vinegar to the pan and cook for a minute to burn off the alcohol. Add the oregano, cumin, coriander, shredded chicken and ancho puree to the skillet and cook (add a splash of chicken stock if the mixture is too thick), until heated through, 3-4 minutes.
• 2 ripe avocadoes, skin and pit removed
• Zest and juice of 1 lime
• 1 small red onion, finely chopped
• 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
• 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds